Sophistication of Sign Languages?

Ingvild Roald ingvild.roald at STATPED.NO
Mon Jun 17 19:33:13 UTC 2002

I just read in a master thesis from 1991 on Norwegian SL that the European
signed languages all tended to have more mouthing, whereas the American SL
has more fingerspelling. Two possible explanations were offered: 1) the
strong oral tradition in Europe 2) the dippicult and inconsitent spelling
rules of English. The author proposed to test the two hypotheses by
looking at British SL, but as this was not the theme for her thesis, she
did not do so. Anyway, Norwegian has a large amount of mouthing, I believe
as large as DGS, and we had a heavy oral regime for about 90 years.

Ingvild, Norway

SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA skriver:

..