SignWriter 4.4 on Linux

Trevor Jenkins Trevor.Jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Sat May 18 08:38:31 UTC 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Stuart Thiessen wrote:

> While this doesn't apply to Windows XP, it is still good news.  I installed
> SuSE Linux 7.3 (one of the various distributions of Linux) on my home
> computer.  I also installed dosemu which is a DOS emulator for Linux.
> SignWriter appeared to work quite well.

A more elegant solution would be to recompile SignWriter 4.4 for
Linux. Either of FreePascal or gpc would probably do. Haven't tried to do
this yet. The biggest problem will be converting the pure-assembler module
to something else and removing the hardware dependencies from it.

Can't do this for a while as the primary disk rive in my workstation
failed last weekend. It's now with a data recovery company who are trying
to extract what data they can from the failed drive.

Before you ask no I didn't have a backup. This flagrant disregard for
normal IT practice means I will be paying the recovery anything upto
$2,000 for their services. When all I should have had to ppay was the
replacement disk drive if I'd taken backups.

Y'all are taking backups aren't you. If not, then learn from my costly
example. When your sdisk fails it will cost you dear.
..