SignSpelling Guidelines: Sample

Sat Nov 2 17:49:28 UTC 2002

SignWriting List
November 2, 2002

Bill - you voiced a good point that was my concern too...namely that the spelling string symbols don't look "exactly" the way a sign is written in SignWriting...that is important and it is my guess this will come up again and again, because it is easier if the spelling string and the real writing look "exactly" the same...I have been trying to please both children and researhers - not an easy tightrope to walk! Children would need it to be exactly as it is written. Researchers want detailed location analysis...

Val ;-)

-----------------------

Oops.  I made a slight error in my previous post. "Instead, it seems to
be understood that the shoulder and FOREARM lines are not shown" should
read "Instead, it seems to be understood that the shoulder and UPPER ARM
lines are not shown."

My bad ...
Bill

Bill Reese wrote:

Val, I find these SignSpelling examples to be very interesting and am studying them all.  I have a question about this example, "daughter".  In the column showing the parts of the sign, you have an arm position, that very clearly shows how the arms should be positioned.  However, the sign itself does not include all of the information shown.  Instead, it seems to be "understood" that the shoulder and forearm lines are not shown.  For a beginner in signspelling how is a student to know this and is there a parallel with spoken languages?

Bill

Valerie Sutton wrote:

SignWriting List
November 2, 2002