spelling order

Ingvild Roald ingvild.roald at STATPED.NO
Fri Nov 1 14:20:43 UTC 2002

Hi,

First: Thank you Valerie for the nice dictionary files. Where thay made by
the SignBAnk program??

Second: I've be working on this spelling-order problem.
Stokoe, and several researchers after him, have been writing linearlily,
and have been starting with location. I do not see that as an option.
But some agreement should be made, if not rigorous, and it should be an
agreement that would lend SW and SB credibility in the academic world as
well as among ordinary users of SW.

Recenly I've seen two different ways of writng the sign for 'coffe', see
the two attached GIFs.
The difference is arbitrary, and should not show up when the sign is
looked up in the dictionary.

So in my oponion, it is obvious that the right hand's first handshape
(supposing we decide that the ordinary dway to write a dictionary is
righthanded) should go into the first box when we put down the spelling.

Let's take it from there.

Ingvild