Does Windows XP work with SW 4.4?

Tue Oct 1 16:11:14 UTC 2002

SignWriting List
October 1st, 2002

Hello SignWriting Listers...
SignWriter DOS (SignWriter 4.4) is an older DOS program that does not
work on all Windows platforms. It works on Windows 95, 98, 98SE, and
Windows ME. It does not work on Windows NT, 2000 or XP.

Today I had a meeting with a Java programmer. We have resumed work on
SignWriter 5.0 development in Java. As you know, SignWriter 5.0 never
got finished, and the code has to be re-worked for modern operating
systems. I hope to have some kind of working version in 2003, but
there are no scheduled time tables...In time I hope that SignWriter
and SignBank will be coordinated to work together, as two
inter-related computer programs.

So for the moment, to type signs in SignWriter DOS, you will need to
use Windows 98 or ME. I have a fast eMac, and I run both DOS and
Windows 98 on VirtualPC. It works beautifully on the faster Macs...

SignBank 2002 is a database program that works in both Windows and
Mac - so that is great to finally have a modern program!