SignBank 2002 Instruction, Task 2

Thu Oct 3 22:24:02 UTC 2002

Stefan wrote:
>- or as you already mentioned to ignore the standard seize and create the
>gifs just as they show off in the SW file ??

SignWriting List
October 3, 2002

Hello Stefan and Everyone:
Thank you for this question. Yes. Just as I said in the
instructions...If a sign does not fit in that size box, then make the
box larger and do not worry about it. Do not reduce the signs
yourself. The 86 by 86 pixels measurement is simply the "general
goal".

The SignBank Portal has different layouts and the signs appear in
different ways, on different layouts. SignBank automatically reduces
the sign for you, in a particular layout, if there is not enough
room. Some layouts have more space and others don't...and some
layouts have plenty of room top to bottom but it is the wide signs
that have to be reduced. So it reduces differently and to different
sizes, depending on the layout. I think you will see what I mean
immediately, as soon as we enter the signs. And at that time, you can
always go back in the Editor program, to make changes to your entries
and experiment to see how the signs look in the Portal...it is a lot
of fun and very creative.

We have ways to print the dictionary with little signs at the top and
bottom of the dictionary pages, showing the look-up signs. In those
cases, all signs have to be reduced to very tiny sizes, and those
reductions are done automatically for you in SignBank. So you never
have to do a reduction yourself unless you want to....

So use the 86 by 86 pixels as the general goal, but don't reduce
yourself. I will send another email message soon, showing you some of
my sign entries so you can see what I mean....

Sutton at SignWriting.org

Sign Languages are
written languages too!

SignWriting List