SignSpelling Guidelines

Wed Oct 30 15:15:16 UTC 2002

>Uhm.... smells good ... and we Norwegians are the greates coffe-drinkers
>in the world (I did not say we make the best coffe, but we *drink* it)
> Ingvild

SignWriting List
October 30, 2002

Dear SignWriting List Members, and Ingvild -
That just shows that I must be Norwegian! I love coffee too, and I learned to drink it in Scandinavia ;-)

Remember our discussion about Sign-Spelling Guidelines?  I am happy to report that I feel encouraged. I am creating a little Picture Dictionary in SignBank, and I am allowing myself to "spell" in the order that feels natural for me. What is interesting, is that I started to memorize the spelling I chose for one sign, and I started applying it to other signs that are similar....so for me, a "spelling routine" is emerging, and writing Guidelines is my next step, as soon as the Picture Dictionary is in PDF format.

The SignWriting teachers in Albuquerque, New Mexico, are traveling to Colorado this weekend to teach a workshop on SignWriting to other educators. I promised them I would send them a PDF file of our new Picture Dictionary - And I will post it on the web too, so that all of you can download it!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

Sign Languages are
written languages!

SignWriting List