SignBank spelling order

Sat Oct 12 14:36:37 UTC 2002

SignWriting List
September 12, 2002

Hello Everyone -
I have not been able to read your messages regarding sign-spellings
because I am running out the door for an appointment. Ingvild...why
not experiment a little and try different spelling techniques? Store
around ten signs in Norwegian Sign Language in SignBank. Then change
the sequence for those ten signs in different ways, in the SignBank
Editor. Then test them in the Portal. Start experimenting this
weekend. Then Monday we can have fun sharing...and I hope others will
too.

Regarding international spelling rules, I disagree that it is time to
decide this. I believe we should try creating a few dictionaries
first in SignBank, to see what different sequences work for different
signed languages. I will be happy to share with you the way I
personally sequence things, and I think it is fine that Charles
shares his theories too. But you may find with experience, Ingvild,
that Norwegian signs have some unique qualities...so this is a real
adventure!

I am telling you this because I have gotten the impression in the
past that people think I know everything, before we have tried it! So
we are still working with a very new invention...and the sequencing
will evolve in time...of course the long-term goal is one
international sequence, but only if that is good for all the
languages we are writing...

So Charles - have you gotten SignBank to open?

And Ingvild - be sure to send only GIFs or JPEG attachments to the
SignWriting List - no BMPs...I had trouble opening them, but I
finally succeeded...

BMPs are not made for international exchange...they cannot be read on
all computers, including all ListServe software - That is why we must
use GIFs or JPEGs in SignBank too...although FileMaker can
technically accept BMPs, there are problems if you use them....so
unfortunately you are going to have to change your BMPs to
GIFs...lots of work, I know...it is a drag....

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, and thanks so much for trying SignBank!