SignBank spelling order

Fri Oct 18 20:58:17 UTC 2002

SignWriting List
October 18, 2002

Thank you, Charles, for your message below. I appreciate it, that you realize how spelling issues can change, depending on the differences in cultures and Sign Languages. I plan to discuss the issue of facial expressions in dictionaries, as well as other fascinating issues that came up years ago, when I was working with a Danish linguist. I found out that Danish Sign Language (DSL) does not differentiate between a closed (tight) fist and an open (circle) fist...That was sooo different than American Sign Language that it actually became an issue when we started working on the DSL-ASL dictionary...we had a dictionary with NO spoken language in the entire dictionary - it was between two signed languages only - and the linguist in Denmark also had other issues I had never thought of...that were unique to the differences between our two Sign Languages...so we will take one step at a time - Hope you are enjoying your new home!  Val ;-)