SignBank spelling order

Sat Oct 19 03:43:26 UTC 2002

SignWriting List
October 18, 2001

>Ingvild wrote:
>Then I started thinking: If each and every one of us are entering the
>spellings by "importance", it would be hard to get an agreed-upon way of
>ordering the spellings. And as the signs should probably be seen as whole
>thimgs, the way we pull them apart by arranging the writing symbols should
>not be of importance to the understanding of the language, but very
>important to the making of dictionaries that work across language borders.

Right...very true. Thank you, Ingvild, for bringing this up. It actually surprised me, since I never would have thought about entering spellings by "importance"...I am not sure what that means...But no matter...As you said, even though the signs are read as visual units, when it comes to sorting them in dictionaries, spelling them sequentially works...or at least it does for me...In the next message, I will enter your three signs into SignBank for you and sort them!