New Posting: Official SSS for SignBank 2002

Wed Sep 4 22:32:15 UTC 2002

SignWriting List
September 4, 2002

Dear SW List Members:
The first release of SignBank 2002, at the end of this month, is the
starting point for a new era. We will be sorting and printing
dictionaries by Sign-Symbol-Sequence on a regular basis.

I therefore worked hard in August to finalize a "final numbering
system" for the SSS that is flexible but sensible and easy to learn.
It is important that a Deaf child, age 6, can find signs in a
SignWriting dictionary quickly, visually and easily.

The SSS-2002 is the name of the Sequence we will be using for the
next two years. It is the "default Sequence" for SignBank 2002.

I am hoping to do a new release of SignBank every two years. SignBank
2004 can incorporate any changes needed to the SSS.

So the new SSS-2002 is now officially posted on the web:

SSS-2002
http://www.SignBank.org/symbolbank/ssslist

These are only the "Base Symbols", without their rotations and variations....

I will also be writing a manual explaining the logic behind the
Sequence. The new SSS manual will be included in SignBank 2002.

You can see I am keeping busy!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org