SignBank Menus in Chinese, Japanese, Arabic...

Thu Sep 12 02:57:40 UTC 2002

Angus wrote:
>         I'm no expert in software localization, but isn't it better to
>have the menus in text?  After all, anyone who knows enough Chinese,
>Japanese or Arabic is likely to have a Chinese, Japanese or Arabic version
>of Windows (or Java, or FileMaker).  Perhaps there are programming tools
>that will allow Wayne, Mark, Mohamed and other volunteers to create the
>menus using their operating systems and then have them incorporated into
>SignBank?

Thanks for this point, Angus. I am certainly open to anything, just
as long as everyone is patient. Meanwhile, I will talk to my
programmer this Saturday about this issue. We are not talking about
FileMaker menus, but specific menus inside SignBank that are under
our jurisdiction...Meanwhile I know there is a FileMaker in Japanese
which would help this issue is my guess...but I don't know what to do
about Chinese and Arabic...I do not believe FileMaker is made for
either of those languages...so that was why I was willing to use
graphics until the time comes when we have a better solution -

Anyway, there is a FileMaker distributor in Hong Kong and China:

http://www.grandtech.com.cn/

but I do not believe the program is in Chinese -