Assessment of learning the writing system?

Stefan Woehrmann2 stefanwoehrmann at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 29 11:51:33 UTC 2002

Hello Stephanie and  List members ,

well - 9 writing systems ??? --

as a teacher I am most interested in a writing system that really works on a
practival level !

Six year old students should be able to read the documents ! 17 year old
students should be able to learn vocabularies or to translate documents of
15 and more pages ...  -  How many writing systems of your number are able
to serve as such an instrument ????

On a higher level my students of 4th grade (10 years old) are asked to
translate sentences and short stories SL-documents written in
GebaerdenSchrift as we call SW here in Germany . German is a very difficult
language and the grammar causes a lot of trouble. Nevertheless - the
combination of GebaerdenSchrift and Mundbildschrift ( a specific writing
system that focuses on the articulation of the German words) is a wonderful
tool to support my friends in their effort to improve their German.

I have to be confident that the written signs, sequences, texts, stories can
be read as accurately as this has been proofed with any other spoken foreign
language.  Due to this aspect I developed a spelling over the last two years
that includes lots of facial expressions. These documents can be read at
high speed!

When I write (on a daily basis ) lots of GebaerdenSchrift-documents  I ask
my students to "translate" these documents - either just reading out loud or
writing down in their exercise books ...

The outcome - the accurate translation of the GebaerdenSchrift - documents
is a wonderfull proof that this system  is perfect !

Since SW is not bound to any culture or SL  it is an interesting question
how well anybody in the world who is an advanced SW - reader should be able
to understand any written document. That is the reason that I love to read
the written documents of others.  Right now there is not too much exchange
in the world
((

You will find on my homepage   www.gebaerdenschrift.de  lots of documents .

My experience is that it is very, very easy to learn to rea
d SW, especially if you are reading a document in that SL which is familiar
to you ! The reason is that you are not in the role of the scribe who has to
make all these decisions .... Learning to write documents on an advanced
level takes time and a lot of feedback !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and  spelling
discussions  and a lot of support from the ingenious inventor of this
wonderful writing system that really deserves this term.

Stefan ;-)

PS  attached is a document that shows examples - SW is beautiful   and
L.I.F.E
Do not try to "translate" but to perform -- you will understand that most of
these ASL -signs are easy to identify once you understood how to read them !
That is the mystery about SW