Tortoise sign

Charles Butler chazzer3 at EROLS.COM
Sun Apr 20 16:43:55 UTC 2003

Valerie et al,

Just curious, is the thumb on the side of the hand or on the top of the hand.  I understand the movement, I'm just looking at the physical location of the thumb in relation to the back of the hand.

Charles

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Hector Devia
  To: SW-L at admin.humberc.on.ca
  Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2003 11:50 PM
  Subject: Tortoise sign

  Valerie Sutton and SW list

  Thank you very much by your help regarding the proper way to write the "CREATE" sign, I choosed the second form of "Val's Writing" and I added it to my dictionary.

  Regarding the proper way to write signs, I would like to ask your feeling about the tortoise sign, as you can see it is an ASL loan sign here in Colombia. The writing form of the ASL dictionary do not make sense to me, because I read that the right hand palm faces up, but I need to write the palm facing to the side, aditonally to show the thumb finger closing twice. (left hand is on right hand) Am I interpreting the signwriting symbols correctly?

  Hector Devia
  Colombia.