Mundbilder in Swiss-German "Deaf story telling style"

Thu Aug 7 02:53:42 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
August 6, 2003

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> from my point of view this is a very important aspect of spelling -
> style in SW, which is worthwhile a more detailed discussion.  At least
> for the German-speaking area I can predict that GebaerdenSchrift has
> to include more "Mundbilder"  if you really want to proof it to be a
> valuable writing system....

Dear SW list and Stefan!
I hope we have already proved, at least to a small extent, that
SignWriting has some value...There are so many Deaf children who have
benefited from your work, Stefan!

I guess when a person writes a Sign Language they do not know, then the
writing is different than someone who knows the Sign Language...Two
very different kinds of writing...but both have something to
contribute...I am sure that someone from Japan might mouth some words,
but if you and I do not know Japanese, how could we possibly know the
word they are mouthing, if we don't speak Japanese...so I apologize if
my German is rusty!

And I applaud your work with Mundbildschrift, Stefan... I think you are
right that it will be used more and more. I understand that the
northern European Sign Languages do use a lot of mouthing of
words...and I know Penny in Switzerland is also very focused on more
and more facial expressions. I hope you all will work together to make
some decisions on writing your facial expressions...

My job these days is getting computer programs to work for you - I hope
I can succeed!

I have to go save all our messages in April 2002, so hopefully I can
write again tomorrow -

All the best -