Mouthings- question for Stefan

signwriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Aug 19 14:59:13 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
August 19, 2003

On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 09:05 PM, Antony Daamen wrote:
 >In Auslan and also ASL, we do make mouth movements, but these are
unrelated to the spoken words equivalent of the sign.  We have a
tight-lips mouth movement, which convey intensity.  If we use this with
the sign for "near" then it meant "very near". we have a mouthing of
the word "pah", which has many different meanings depending on the
signs it is being used....

-----------------

Dear Antony, Stefan, Ingvild, Daniel and Everyone!
First, before I go on, I must say that the Australian Deaf people are
apparently similar to our American Deaf people, based on Antony's
description...and perhaps similar to Irish Deaf people too, judging by
my small experiences...

But it is important for you to know, Antony, that there is a cultural
difference here...the northern European countries really are different
than ASL and AUSLAN...I know this because I lived in Denmark and I
witnessed how different it was in comparison to ASL...

The key to all this is how Deaf people sign to each other, when no
hearing person is in the room...

When I say "hearing person"...I am referring to those hearing people
who were not raised in the Deaf Community...who are not native signers
themselves...

In the US, when Deaf people are signing to each other, without the
presence of hearing people, they sign differently, than if hearing
people are in the room...and their facial expressions change to a real
"ASL" that is hard to explain because there is no word equivalent...so
that sounds a little like AUSLAN too...

We know this because of videotapes...Deaf people agree to be taped for
research purposes, and their language changes the moment the hearing
people leave the room...They use more mouthing while the hearing people
are there, but drop the "mouthing" and revert to ASL mouth movements,
when they are alone with each other...

The Danes have something called "the Mouth-Hand-System", a little like
Cued Speech in the US, and the Danes relied heavily upon it when I
lived there in the mid-1980's...And the movements of the
Mouth-Hand-System had actually influenced Danish Sign Language as
well...some of those movements of mouth and hand had actually become
signs...a little like fingerspelling in the US...certain words are
fingerspelled so much in the US, that they become signs in their own
right...So while American Deaf people use fingerspelling more than in
some other countries, the German-speaking, and Scandinavian nations
tend to use more mouthing...

Mainly I am just impressed that Stefan used SignWriting to write those
mouth movements...