Mundbilder, Mouth writing, vertical columns

Thu Aug 21 20:30:06 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
August 21, 2003

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> sometime people lift their hand more or less - therefore the two
> different handpositions (parallel to the floor, parallel to the wall)
> , you notice that I use Mundbilder to support the reader to identiy
> the exact term that I have in mind - "Geld" is a typical example that
> there are not two many guesses possible at least in DGS  (money
> (Geld), how much?, ..) Nevertheless it is up to future experiences how
> much we will/should include Mundbilder.

Dear SW List members, and Stefan...
I think you are right, Stefan, that some mouth movements could help
people differentiate between signs, if they are not reading complete
sign-sentences for context. That is an interesting reason for writing
mouth movements...to clarify what the meaning is of a sign is, for
those signs that have multiple meanings in a dictionary...

I have also been criticized for writing too many facial expressions.
Some linguists prefer to only write a few, and not to clutter the
writing...but my feeling is that since we always have our heads on our
shoulders when we sign anyway, we might as well write the body as it
looks while we sign...even if a facial expression is repeated from one
sign to the next, what does that matter, since we see it repeated in
real life anyway?...

And there is also another reason that repeated facial expressions have
value...when writing down in columns, the circular head symbol anchors
the "center of the body", so that you can see the comparison of the
hands going to the right or the left of the center of the body...so
when writing down in columns the facial circle actually gives us a way
to eliminate shoulder lines at times...If anyone is interested in
seeing what I mean, I can do a diagram to show you...

So your MundbildSchrift, Stefan, can also serve as an anchor for the
center of vertical writing...;-)