Comparing SignWriting to Stokoe and HamNoSys

Mon Aug 25 14:31:04 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
August 25, 2003

Suksiri Danthanavanich wrote:
> However, I still wonder that another Sign Notation system like
> Stokoe's and HamNoSys are not promoted. Would you please suggest me to
> some kind of information around this topic?

Dear SW List, and Suksiri...
Thank you for this question, Suksiri, and welcome to the SignWriting
List!

It is true that our SignWriting web sites, and also this List, focus on
SignWriting. However, we do have several articles comparing SignWriting
to HamNoSys and Stokoe...You can read them on our web site. Go to:

SignWriting Linguistic Forum
http://www.SignWriting.org/forums/linguistics/linguistics.html

or go directly to the articles:

A Linguistic Comparison
Two Notation Systems for Signed Languages:
Stokoe Notation & Sutton SignWriting
by Joe Martin, Western Washington University
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/linguistics/ling008.html

and....

Writing the Same Signs in Different Transcription Systems
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/linguistics/ling001.html

Includes a comparison of
HamNoSys written by Susanne Bentele, Universitaet Hamburg, Germany
Stokoe System written by Joe Martin, Western Washington University
SignWriting system by Valerie Sutton

Everyone - I noticed that the link to the pdf file for Joe's article is
no longer working, so I will search for the pdf and re-post it...I have
no memory of how that happened, but it is a shame and I hope I can find
it!