Promotion on another Sign Notation System

Mon Aug 25 16:04:08 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
August 25, 2003

Thanks, Angus, for this message....

On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 06:02 AM, Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote:
> This is true of HamNoSys and possibly Stokoe, but not of the
> Newkirk systems (87, 93 and SignFont).  All three were designed to be
> used
> as orthographies.  There are a number of other factors involved, one of
> which is that Valerie has been consistenly promoting SignWriting for
> years, but when was the last time you heard from Don Newkirk?

The Newkirk 87 system you mention...is that the one that uses the Roman
alphabet to represent the movements of signed languages? Don showed me
his system like that, in 1975 at Salk Institute, so it must have
started earlier but then was published in 87?

For those not familiar with Don Newkirk's system that I mention
above...It looked like a string of letters from the English alphabet,
but with words and spelling that are not related to English...like
reading a foreign language in the Roman alphabet...some strings were
very very long...like very long words...

Is there a web site url, Angus, for that system?