desire to learn

Thu Aug 28 16:06:20 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
August 28, 2003

Janetta Batten wrote:
> Dear Valerie:  I do not know how to sign and at your site there are
> just too many choices so could you tell me where to start to teach
> myself how to sign.  I would greatly appreciate it.
> Thank you. Janetta Batten

Dear Janetta!
Thank you for this email question. Learning to sign is a wonderful
experience, and I hope you can find a teacher in your local area to
give you lessons. I do not know where you live, but there usually are
Sign Language courses at local colleges in the US...Or call your local
Deaf organization, to see if they offer Sign Language classes....

Regarding learning to sign on the web...Our SignWriting web sites are
not designed to teach you to sign. SignWriting is a way to read and
write signs, so while you are learning to sign with a teacher,
SignWriting can help you record the signs you are learning, so you can
refer to your notes later, to remember what you learned from your
teacher...

If you want to learn SignWriting right now, go to these web pages:

Learn SignWriting
http://signwriting.org/lessons/lessonsw/lessonsw.html

SignWriting Dictionaries
http://www.SignBank.org/signbank.html

I am posting this message to our SignWriting List, to ask if any List
members know of good web sites to learn to sign? I do not know any...so
if they answer with other suggestions, I will inform you, Janetta -

Thanks for writing!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting Site
http://www.SignWriting.org