Flat Hand - In-Between Palm Facings...

Fri Dec 26 22:19:03 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
December 26, 2003

 >>>Charles Butler wrote:
I'd prefer that the computer program not be more than quintupled in
size to show every shade of these multiple hand shapes, which will
require not simply 96 shapes in the graphics to be created, but more
than 192 extra hand shadings PER hand, rather simply add two circles
(left and right hand) to show the extra angle beyond simply front,
back, and half-and-half.

Val responds:
Ha! smile...I had never planned to add more palm facings to other
handshapes...it is only the Flat Hand under consideration here - We
would go crazy if we doubled the amount of palm facings we
have...no...in the SignBank for Research Use symbolset...called the
sss2004, I will simply add those special variations for the Flat Hand
only, plus the other symbols that we have discussed...but that does not
mean that people will necessarily use the symbols in SignBank for
Research Use...many of them will not be used for daily use, because it
becomes too much detail...but like a big closet, we can always go in
and search for rarely used symbols occasionally, if we absolutely have
to...It will be interesting to see what ends up being used on a daily
basis, say, in a decade...maybe half of what we are using now, I bet...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting Site
http://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages