AW: AW: writing by hand - not so easy ? -

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Fri Dec 5 17:27:32 UTC 2003

Hello James, Ingvild, Cecilia   and list members

thanks very much for your comments on this "handwriting" - subject -

"....what applies to the process of developing literacy skills in
English tends to be pertinent to sign literacy, as well."

I am lucky to watch two of my sons in early childhood ( at different times -
ha)  ---   as they develop a way to express their ideas in a written form.
The miracle about this is that they make up their own theory about a
connection between the letters of the alphabet and the phonological
impression they experience. Funny and interesting to see, that they differ
in their phonological analysis of the spoken language - but once you have
understood their individual system you are able to follow their rules and
can read and understand what they line up - rows of letters with no gap ...

But the deaf child - what about the deaf child - there is no chance
whatsoever to develop any idea of phonological guidance. And that makes the
whole difference. Therefore we have such a hard time that lasts sooooooooooo
long to inform about the connection between visible mouth and lips movements
that go along with typical sounds (???? ) which hearing try to express with
letters as good as possible. The deaf child has to understand that a change
in the row of letters can be but must not result in a different meaning ...
They have to accept that the same letters are pronounced differently ,,,,
My deaf students get almost angry that they are left alone with lip-reading
tasks unless they learned the spelling of the German word before. Once they
got the idea of conjugation and declination, singular and plural, ... they
are much better of -
BUT IT TAKES TIME

You know that I developed a special "Mundbildschrift" to support their
learning process. And this turns out to be a valuable tool as well. Later
the students understand the problems and confusion that goes along with
lip-reading if they are uninformed about the spelling of the words ....

And time goes by - And over sudden they will be no longer at school but will
start their professional education (about 17 years old students)
And now they are confronted with a boost of literature - ( no single
bilingual book  so far ... )

Therefore I feel responsible to support them as best as possible to
understand and read more and more German written documents. But I feel under
pressure at the same time that there expressive skills develop so slow at
the same time. Contrary to the hearing child they miss almost every German
word to write it down - You can write something wrong if you have got a
vague idea. But if there is nothing ... you cannot write anything. And every
new picture-sequence that should serve as a trigger to formulate own ideas
leads to the same problem -

Would be so fantastic if deaf children simply could go to the SW4.4. program
or could grasp the pencil and would be able to write down their idea in SW.
But that is difficult. Very difficult for young children. I bet that you and
your Bluefield - teachers would be able without too much trouble to write
down some picture - story within ... 2 hours? 1 hour ? half an hour ? How
long would be sufficient! I am really interested!! Later you should be able
to write your handwritten document with SW4.4 - with no dictionary - how
long would that be?
So obviously the time- factor is very important. What about times,  when
people took their time to write on stone or paint in an artful manner the
bible - letters .. Nobody allows students to be slow! That is a pity! (Ha
writing this comment I learn a lot! L.I.F.E - hi TINI)

What if I would start to teach every day an hour - or at least 30 minutes a
day - handwriting ?? -- I get under pressure to "loose" time.

But that would afford that I should know - how to write by hand myself.
Students need to experience handwriting as a natural method -
So I started this week to write my first message on the blackboard -
handwritten SW - like (All children are asked to clean the blackboard. - or-
all children are asked to start with mathematics 1 x 13  . Or -  please take
out your German exercise books and start writing sentences. "
When I enter the classroom ( minutes late  ;-) ) They are already doing
their job! In fact they are curious about my next message  the next day and
they really think that it is easy just to take the chalk and write my signs

The reason that I started this discussion is that I do not want to mislead
other colleagues who are going to start their GebaerdenSchrift - projects
now . We all know that SW is a wonderful powerful tool to express SL in a
easy to read written notation system - far better than any other that I know
of.

Without GebaerdenSchrift my students would not be able to read and
understand structures of German grammar as they do - ( at least most of
them )
Without GebaerdenSchrift two of my students would not be able to read any
written document. Just in contrary. The reading and understanding of written
GebaerdenSchrift - documents is kind of catalyst for their developing skill
to read and understand German texts.
GebaerdenSchrift is a wonderful tool to support their identification with
DEAF culture.
Our chance to show both language - systems - (spoken language and SL) in a
contrast - enables them to understand their confusion!!- and to overcome the
mixture of the two grammar - systems.

Would be too exiting to watch deaf little babies - who are allowed to spend
time on finding their individual writing system - Do they really go along a
similar path in achieving SW - handwriting - literacy ?

Above I mentioned my sons at age of 4 - 5 years ! Ha - they did their job
with a keyboard and not by hand!  And Gordian is working on SW now with the
keyboard. He develops his idea to "write" a maenniken - so this is not
pasting from the dictionary but searching for symbols! He is informed about
arcs, arrows, contact-symbols, lines, heads, eyes, ... hand shapes ( he is
only interested in the 5-fingers - hand) Hi is counting the keys in order to
find the key for a given symbol... He becomes an expert on expressive
writing if he proceeds ...
He is doing a great job - He is doing what I would call writing SW with the
SW4.4. because he collects isolated symbols and arranges them in a way that
they can be seen as a complete gestalt . What comes out is the idea of his
"maenniken - with or without legs (= ghost) with a point on the eye (=
pirate), with or without any body but just legs starting from the head (=
just as we know from hand paintings of little children) and right now it is
important to him to write little guys with a special sign that identifies
them as boys (see attached gif - ha. (His comment "I made two pained boys")
!
Jojo his older brother has become an expert - it is almost wonderful to
watch him designing new art products -
Once children are used to this idea it is - or should be - a small step to
arrange symbols that are meaningful in a SL - vocabulary set. And this would
lead to a expressive skill that you are no longer dependent of the knowledge
of words from the spoken language but can refer to your own signing
competence. That is what I am dreaming of for deaf children in early
childhood!
One of my students at school starts to change signs that are found in the
dictionary if they do not agree with the spelling! He is on his way to
master more and more features of the SW - Program .

All the best to all of you

Stefan ;-)  (Friday has come!!)