Flat Hand - In-Between Palm Facings...

Fri Dec 26 22:11:35 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
December 26, 2003

Hello Everyone!
I hope you all are having a good holiday - Thanks for this response,
Charles...

 >>Charles Butler wrote:
 >>My personal opinion as that the multiple breakouts of the hands into
6 to 8 more palm facings is much too confusing.  They are hard to
 >>draw quickly, and very hard, personally, for me to remember.

Val responds...
Yes. For me too. That is why we are having this discussion. We have
four different ways of writing that position now, one of them being
your suggestion for a symbol, Charles...Another one is the symbol that
Ingvild suggested. And then I have the shortened symbol which I
personally love, which was used by classrooms of people in the
1980's...and then there are the multiple palm facing symbols that
Stefan was using...so we have a choice of four different symbols...plus
a fifth choice, which is not to write so much detail...there are ways
to get around not using any new symbol at all, if you assume knowledge
of the language...most writing systems for daily use assume prior
knowledge of the language, and do not write as much detail as we are
doing right now...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting Site
http://www.SignWriting.org