Tiffany Huntley's inquiry

Judy Kegl kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Wed Feb 19 14:30:09 UTC 2003

Tiffany,

You are asking whether SignWriting "is effective or not."  However, you
have not clarified what you mean by "effective".

1) Effective as a notational system to facilitate linguistic analysis
of signed languages?

2) Effective as a writing system for Deaf people?  Effective for giving
Deaf students literacy skills in their first language?

3) Effective as a tool for teaching spoken language literacy to Deaf
children?

4) Effective as a written system for information dissemination in a
wide range of areas: gossip, health care, news, philosophical debate,
theological discussions, amorous correspondence?

As to item 1, you will need to solicit the opinions of linguists who
either work with the system or who have rejected it as unsuitable for
their purposes.

As to item 2, I am not familiar with any recent and in-depth formal
research on the matter.  There is certainly ample primary data at this
point, however:  works prepared for users, assignments produced by Deaf
children, instances of correspondence, school exam results, videotapes
of classes....

As to item 3, you are also stuck with primary data as such programs are
in their infancy.

As to item 4, again, view the primary material and make your own
judgments.

Contact me for further details, if you like:  kegl at maine.rr.com

-- James Shepard-Kegl
Director,