Writing Rhythm in SignWriting

Thu Feb 27 16:43:07 UTC 2003

On February 23, 2003, Mark Penner wrote:
> If you can point me to any information on the website about writing
> rhythm (perhaps the dancewriting page would have this?), I think he
> would be very interested in that, again, both from the poetic and the
> linguistic standpoint. From the little I know of Japanese Sign
> Language, rhythm looks like it plays an important part in
> distinguishing certain grammatical structures.

Hello Everyone, and Mark -
Thank you for this question. Yes. There is a way to write rhythm. Look
at the SignWriting eLessons on the web:

SignWriting eLessons
http://signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/elessons.html

There you will find a whole section on writing tempo and
rhythm...starting with this web page:

Tempo and Rythm
http://signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less021.html

and continuing for around 5 pages...