SIGNBANK LESSONS: Adding Signs

Thu Jan 16 21:18:07 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
January 16, 2003

Hi Bill, and Everyone!
Yes...I know about the PNG format. Thanks for mentioning that. SignBank
accepts GIFs, JPEGs, PNGs, PICTs and several other formats. The reason
I was suggesting keeping to GIFs and JPEGs is that they are
better-known, more widely used formats. But if people prefer to use PNG
then go right ahead. The great thing about SignBank is that it is built
inside a modern program...FileMaker...and the FileMaker programmers
keep FileMaker up-to-date with all these new developments...so we have
less risk of going out of date with SignBank...but SignWriter DOS only
exports to BMP, and that is my full responsibility. That is why we need
SignWriter 5.0 so badly. It is working on Mac OS X now, (with some
bugs) and on Mac OS X the signs can be printed directly to PDF without
owning Acrobat - so I tend to print SignWriter signs to PDF, then open
the PDF in Photoshop...when you do that the Photoshop PDF format gives
a very clean background too, just like the PNG...so there are a
thousand ways to work on these multiple formats!

But yes...go right ahead and use PNG - PNG 24 and PNG 8 are both
acceptable...Take a look at the attached PNGs...they drag and drop from
SignBank into any text document... Val ;-)

PNG 8 and 24...