Readers vs editors

Mon Jan 20 22:12:22 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
January 20, 2003

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 01:45 PM, Antony Daamen wrote:
> I presume I am an editor? sorry for all these silly questions, wasting
> your time....
> But Australian signs coming up!!  We have here a 3000+ auslan
> dictionary, so I will have plenty of fun!!

Hello Antony and Everyone!
That is not a silly question... The "Editor" password gives you the
ability to make changes and additions to the dictionary, so yes...if
you will be adding signs then you are an Editor.

The Reader password does not allow the Reader to make any changes...but
they can read, sort, print and search the entire database.

By the way....a short story....today my parents are packing to fly back
to Florida, where they live, so tomorrow morning at 5:30 I will be
driving them to the airport for an early flight...I thought you might
be interested in some of the new technological developments...Yesterday
we bought my parents a computer - We went to the Apple Store in
downtown San Diego, where you can sit and use their computers all day
if you want. My Mom chose the eMac, and I asked them to configure the
computer for them, so when it arrives on their doorstep in Florida, it
will be ready to go. My mother is a hearing woman who writes poetry,
but now that she is older, it is harder for her to type because her
hands tremble sometimes. So I asked the Apple technicians to install a
computer program called Via Voice, and we also purchased a Head
Set...so today I tested it - my goodness it is amazing...the person
speaks into this headset so that the software "recognizes" your
voice...and then you can dictate complete long paragraphs and it turns
it into typed text...already typed for you! So now I am thinking of the
future for SignWriting and Sign Languages...I know we have discussed
this idea before...but wouldn't it be wonderful if we could sign
something on a camera attached to the computer and it would turn it
into written SignWriting? Is there "Sign Language Recognition Software"
developed yet? I know people are working on it...if so then later we
could try to coordinate it with SignWriting...  Ha! One more project -
eeeek - smile  Val ;-)