Cecilia Flood's Dissertation

Stephanie Berk stephanie.berk at UCONN.EDU
Sat Jul 12 21:30:45 UTC 2003

Hello Everyone.

    I have been reading the emails on the list now for about 6 months,
but have not yet introduced myself, although I do feel I know many of
you from the emails.  My name is Stephanie Berk and I am finishing my
Ph.D.  dissertation at the University of Connecticut, on the acquisition
of American Sign Language when first language exposure is delayed by
almost 6 years.  I am currently living in Pittsburgh, PA and will be
here for at least another 2 years.
    Here at University of Pittsburgh, we have a reading and writing
systems scholar, named Dr. Charles Perfetti.  I am hoping, with Dr.
Perfetti as one of my mentors, to do a post-doctoral study of writing
systems for ASL, within the scope of the recent findings that language
proficiency plays a large role in literacy.  I would like to contrast
two different sign language/ASL writing systems with two levels of ASL
proficiency(High and Low).  While I will spare you all the details in this email, the main hypotheses are 1)  If language proficiency is the main contributor to learning to read/write, then children learning different types of writing systems should "score" similarly within proficiency groups on
the 2 writing systems. 2) If a specific writing system is better at
capturing the salient aspects of the language, then children of
different language proficiencies should learn that writing system better
than the other one.
    I would like to assess both how well the reading/writing systems are
learned and how this can positively impact Deaf literacy and education.
 I am planning on emailing Dr. Cecilia Flood, when she gets back, to ask
if she and her students would be willing to participate in this study.
 I have submitted one grant proposal to a private foundation for this
potential project, and am planning on also submitting an NRSA
re-submittal that would be for this project. (The first submittal did
not get funding.)
    I think that SignWriting and Deaf literacy are very important in the
empowering of the Deaf community.  I am hoping to address some of the
questions that Dan Parvaz raised, as well as others that I have been
thinking about for the past while.
        (I am hearing,but I have been signing (ASL) since I was 2 1/2 years old.)

    I am open for any suggestions and constructive criticism *smile*.

Yours,
Stephanie