Hooked "L"

Tue Jul 15 18:12:49 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 15, 2003

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 11:00 AM, Ingvild Roald wrote:
> That is all right, if this is the left hand. Then the hook of the two
> rightmost symbols show just what you say it should..

Exactly. If you are using our basic 6 palm facings, then this is the
left hand, facing squarely with the palm toward your chest...the first
palm facing out of the six...

Believe it or not, there are 2 more inbetween palm facings which I have
never taught officially...so technically each palm facing group has
five components, rather than three. This is in the general Movement
Writing system, and I have never made it an official part of
SignWriting...So instead of having palm, side and back of hand, if you
added the inbetweens, you would have palm, diagonal palm, side,
diagonal back of hand, back of hand.

These were discussed at length with Stefan years ago...Most people do
not know about them, and it doesn't matter...We have way too much to
deal with right now, just keeping up with the new Sign Languages that
are being written daily...

So we are communicating...I hope this has helped -