SW in Sign Language Studies, volume 3, no.4, Summer 2003, pp. 393-430

Tue Jul 29 19:58:05 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 29, 2003

Hello Everyone, and Fernando!
Many congratulations on your new article in Sign Language Studies! Of
course I would LOVE to see it. I have not seen it yet, however. I
visited the web site called MUSE, which houses different journals
online, and Sign Language Studies is one of them. They would not allow
me to subscribe, to read the article, because they will not allow
individuals to subscribe at this time...they are only for universities
and groups...So I will contact the Sign Language Studies editors
directly...Anyway, here is the listing for your new article, and
congratulations once again!....

Capovilla, Fernando César.
Duduchi, Marcelo.
Raphael, Walkiria Duarte.
Luz, Renato D.
Rozados, Daniela.
Capovilla, Alessandra G. S.
Macedo, Elizeu C.
Brazilian Sign Language Lexicography and Technology: Dictionary,
Digital Encyclopedia, Chereme-Based Sign Retrieval, and Quadriplegic
Deaf Communication Systems
[Access article in HTML] [Access article in PDF]
Subjects:
Brazilian Sign Language -- Lexicography.
Brazilian Sign Language -- Dictionaries -- Polyglot.
Abstract:
The Brazilian Sign Language digital encyclopedia contains a databank
of fifty-six hundred signs glossed in Portuguese and English, along
with descriptions and illustrations of their sign form (sublexical
structure)  and meaning (referent). The encyclopedia includes a
sublexical- component indexing system and a menu-based sign-retrieval
system.  These allow deaf users to locate specific signs based on five
parameters,  their cheremes, and allochers: (1) hands: articulation
(e.g., 1–9, A–Z), orientation, and relationships; (2) fingers: type
and articulation; (3) place; (4) movement: type, frequency/intensity,
hand, finger, and body; and (5) facial expression. By taking advantage
of imagery and linguistic processes involved in mental-lexicon access,
the sign-retrieval system takes sign language dictionaries beyond the
traditional alphabetical indexing of glosses. Utilizing the extensive
sign bank, an eye-blink, air-puff-operated communication and
telecommunication  system allows deaf users with quadriplegia to select
  automatically scanned animated signs, compose messages, and have  them
printed and spoken with digitized speech in Portuguese and  English.