Studies on Sign Writing

Mon Jul 7 23:01:35 UTC 2003

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 10:04 AM, David Tipton wrote:
> Another idea, is to take to people that do not know sign language and
> teach one using traditional ASL dictionaries and the other with
> signwriting dictionaries and compare the results. I would suspect the
> signwriting dictionaries would be more beneficial and increase the
> learning rate. Again what do you think and are there any similar
> studies?

SignWriting is more accurate than life-like drawings, so I would think
that a beginning signer who knows SignWriting would have more of a
foundation in ASL when they are done studying because by writing the
language, they re-inforce the language in their memory..but I do not
know of any specific studies like this...does anyone else?