Looking for an article for my students

dac dac at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Tue Jul 8 01:59:14 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 7, 2003

Dear Polly -
Thank you for your email message below. I am posting it to our
SignWriting List, which has around 200 members. Most are teachers of
Deaf children, or Sign Language researchers. I am hoping some of them
will give you the ammunition you need to prove to your co-workers that
Sign Languages are true languages...

One thing I personally believe...that Sign Languages are becoming
written languages too...and perhaps that would help convince them?

And yes yes! Dennis Schemenauer was one of the ten Deaf native signers
that I hired to work on the SignWriter Newspaper staff, back in
1982-1984....Dennis and Frank Allen Paul created a cartoon series in
ASL...the cartoon characters had SignWriting in the bubbles instead of
spoken language! Would you like to see those cartoons? I can scan them
in and post them to the SignWriting List....

Both Dennis and Frank were brilliant and wonderful to work with...And
yes! I know Brenda Castillo too...Her name is soooo familiar and I am
trying to remember if we worked together or not - I believe so...maybe
a decade ago...I do not know Bob Schaufele...

OK List...what ammunition can you give Polly?

Val ;-)