Unicode Discussion

Stuart Thiessen smt_sw at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Jul 11 01:35:13 UTC 2003

I haven't had the chance to study how Valerie has done the position symbols. I have only recently become free to start the process of studying these questions. This summer, I am taking literacy courses which focus on encouraging "mother tongue" ("mother hand"? SMILE) literacy at the University of North Dakota.  I hope it will be helpful for promoting ASL literacy using SW.  So I haven't spent much time on this issue this summer as of yet.

My initial planning prior to receiving your email is very similar to what you have described. Rather than (x,y) coordinates, I was considering using a polar coordinate system. For those who may not be familiar with polar coordinates, essentially it refers to storing the angle and distance rather than actual (x,y) coordinates. Certain mathematical formulas can convert between polar and (x,y) coordinates. It is my understanding (and I welcome correction if I am misunderstanding), but the use of polar coordinates may be more useful when considering enlarging or shrinking a symbol as compared to using (x,y) coordinates because you can increase the size of the symbol and the distance by the appropriate ratio and then use the angle and distance to plot the symbol appropriately.

In terms of sign composition, I was thinking that a user could start with any symbol they wanted, and then the angle and distance would be noted for each symbol that follows. This is my starting point.  I want to study SWML in more detail and other encoding approaches to see where some of the challenges will occur. I thought this might be more easily encoded than a static (x,y) approach. Over time, this sequence would be the spelling rule, but initially, I am assuming that SW will go through a period where "spelling rules" will be difficult to enforce.  So, the system needs to be flexible to handle different spelling rules until a community decides on a specific spelling rule.

I will naturally want whatever my research develops to be supportive of other initiatives in the SW community so I plan to keep asking for feedback along the way and studying what others have researched.

Have you explored the use of polar coordinates before or have you chosen to use (x,y) coordinates simply because of the customary grid that SWriter used? Does anyone see a problem with assuming no specific location on the first symbol and allowing other symbols to "form" around the first character? Could you give me some examples if you know of any?  This feedback will be helpful so that I don't waste my time on things that have already been tested.  If this has not been tested, I will plan to do some playing around with that (probably more after my summer school is completed) and see what pro's and con's develop.

Thanks,

Stuart