Position Symbols

Fri Jul 11 18:38:05 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 11, 2003

Daniel Noelpp wrote:
>>> Did I understand you correctly: "position symbols" are invisible
>>> symbols which control the position of the following symbol in a
>>> sign?

No...Position Symbols are not used in SignWriter...Rich Gleaves worked
out a very clever way to control the position of a symbol that
follows...that is built into SignWriter. The Position Symbols are
something else entirely...they have only been placed in SignBank and
SymbolBank (by me), to help with sorting by SignSymbolSequence...I will
show you those now...

Meanwhile, for those who know how to type in SignWriter, when you are
typing, after you type one symbol you press the M key, which is the
cursor key, and then keep tapping on the M key and that moves the
cursor around each symbol in 8 different coordinates...that places the
cursor in the correct position to be able to type the next symbol you
want, placed in the correct relationship to the symbol you previously
typed...so that is in both SignWriter DOS and Java right now...and
there are people who love that feature and type quickly because of it...