photo and Brazilian site for SignWriting

Tue Jul 15 03:33:27 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 14, 2003

Charles-
I spoke with Rocha, while he was here, about your four-language
dictionary between LIBRAS, Portuguese, ASL and English...and he
suggested that you prepare it in SignBank, which gives you an Editor
program for multi-lingual dictionaries. I will be happy to help you
with that, as soon as you have some of the data entered...so I hope you
can find a computer to install FileMaker, so you can see your
dictionary used in the future...I know you worked sooo hard on it, and
it would be a shame not to enter it into SignBank!

Val ;-)

------------------------

On Sunday, July 13, 2003, at 05:37 PM, Charles Butler wrote:

> I just looked over the Brazilian Dictionary Web site and it absolutely
> beautiful and divided by topic.  I'm going to try to download it and
> rearrange it alphabetically (SSS) as this was a project I was working
> on while I was in Brazil.
>
> Meanwhile, in looking over all the words, "Titulo de eleitor" didn't
> make sense to me.  The sign looks like it's being made with two right
> hands.  The lower one should be flipped the other way if the upper one
> is supposed to be descending into it (as the "between" character would
> indicate".
>
> When I was working in Brazil, that was an interesting point in my
> editing, it was usually the "C" handshape, and the "square angle" hand
> were sometimes turned around, showing the right hand for both the left
> and right hand.  It was a minor typo, but it was a consistent one,
> which I think is a significant minor point in day-to-day patterns.
>
> Charles
>

> Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
> SignWriting List
> July 10, 2003
>
> Hello Everyone, and Tini...
> Yes, Nicole is very beautiful, you are right about that! I do not
> believe Nicole is on the SignWriting List, since her photo came from a
> group of photos on Antonio Carlos' web site. You might enjoy visiting
> his site with soooo many nice documents in SignWriting, plus the photos
> of a classroom of Deaf children who are learning SignWriting in Brazil:
>
> Brazilian Web Site with SignWriting documents and photos
> http://gmc.ucpel.tche.br/signwriting/
>
> Nicole most likely speaks Portuguese and LIBRAS (Brazilian Sign
> Language)...so if you want to write to her, I would suggest writing in
> ASL in SignWriting with English glosses...that at least would give her
> something to study and muse over, even if she doesn't fully understand
> what you said...or you could put your English glosses through a
> translation system on the web to receive Portuguese glosses for her...
>
> Thank you, Antonio Carlos, for the lovely web site with all the
> documents! They are quite amazing and I really loved all the photos of
> the Deaf children!
>
> Val ;-)

> On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 05:10 AM, Tini Pel wrote:
>
> > To Nicole in Brazil,
> >
> > Valerie send us your picture Nicole, what a beautiful photo!!!!
> > Did you do all the writing on the board?
> > Thank you so much. Can you send us some more?
> > bye for now,
> > Tini in Canada.

<image.tiff>