From reading SW to reading spoken languages...

Thu Jul 17 17:29:54 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 17, 2003

Thank you, James, for this thoughtful report about SignWriting in
Nicaragua...Your postscript below is important...stating that your Deaf
students, who are fluent, or at least skilled in SignWriting, are now
making a transition to reading the Spanish spoken language...If your
results are positive I am sure other teachers will want to know,
because one of the biggest concerns from new teachers, is the fear that
Deaf people will never learn to read and write a spoken language, if
they learn SignWriting first...I personally do not believe that is
true, but I have never had any official data to back up that
belief...Thanks for this -  Val ;-)