SignWriter Java

Sun Jun 1 17:30:16 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
June 1, 2003

Dan Parvaz wrote:
> On a slightly different tack: does SW-Java save in SW 4.x format? With
> the same glyph codes? Has anyone with a Linux/FreeBSD box checked to
> see if the program runs under JRE 1.4.x?

No. It goes one way only...SignWriter DOS 4.4, files can be converted
to SignWriter Java. It cannot reverse for this reason: SignWriter DOS
is using a Symbol Set from 1995....the sss1995. And SignWriter Java is
using sss1999. The conversion goes from 95-99. I have the documentation
on that. The problem is...sss1999 has more symbols in it than sss1995.
So if someone typed a clean and new document in Java, they might use
more symbols, and those couldn't exist in 1995...Plus, DOS cannot
handle the improved graphics from the sss1999, which is made for modern
operating systems...so you can't go backwards - not the way things are
right now anyway...

I didn't know this morning that SignWriter Java worked in Windows, so
this is pretty exciting and a big change in thinking...Now we can find
out if it works in Linux and other flavors of Unix? I would like to
know too...