SW and Unicode

Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR
Sun Jun 22 11:09:47 UTC 2003

I'm afraid I have to agree with Dan, for yet another reason:
Valerie's encoding of SW symbols, with that series of numbers
(category,group,etc.),which evolved from Rich Gleaves original
encoding of SW symbols for the SignWriter program, is very
practical in helping programs to understand the symbols, to know
for example what transformations (rotations, flops) can be done
with each of them.

Perhaps Unicode can encode symbols in a way that keep the
codes as meaningful as those ones, I don't know. But I feel that
something similar to the original Rich's encoding is mandatory.

SWML keeps that encoding as it is, and our experience with
writing programs based on it reinforces that impression.

But perhaps I'm wrong, and Unicode can work that way. That would
be great, because it could put SW within the important industrial
standard that it represents.

All the best,

Ant ­? io Carlos