SW and Unicode

Sun Jun 22 17:39:15 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
June 22, 2003

On Saturday, June 21, 2003, at 08:55 PM, Dan Parvaz wrote:
> I'm willing to bet that SWML is probably the
> best vehicle for representing the whole shebang; furthermore, it
> probably ought to be one of the formats that SWJava can handle without
> any external conversion (i.e., it ought to work within "Save As...").

YES!! Having shown you all the work we did in the past, on Unicode, I
can tell you that, for the moment at least, I have stopped worrying
about Unicode...why? Well, Michael Everson feels we need at least
$100,000.00 (one hundred thousand American dollars) to complete the
project, and we never succeeded in getting funding for it. Whenever I
tried, the possible funders looked confused. They couldn't understand
the technological reason for it, since from their point of view, we
already had a way to type...so for the moment we have no funding for
Unicode, and that is why Stuart Thiessen considered taking the project
on his shoulders...

Meanwhile, we have SignWriter DOS and SignWriter Java, and with a way
to create SWML from SignWriter Java, we just might reach the world
faster, than waiting for funding for UNICODE......So your comment
above, Dan, is exactly where I am at, myself...To be able to "SAVE AS
SWML" from SignWriter Java would be great!