Rich Gleaves, SignWriter and Modula-2 ;-)

Sun Jun 1 21:21:15 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
June 1st, 2003

On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 12:20 PM, Daniel Noelpp wrote:
> 1983 I had my first computing experience with the PET,
> followed by the famous C64, then Amiga. I programmed
> in Basic, Assembler, C and Modula-2. So I was lucky to find
> a rather nice job in Basel 1998 after I left University....

Dear SignWriting List Members, and Daniel!
Thank you for this message, Daniel, and for your interest in helping us
work on SignWriter 5.0. Your credits are very impressive. If this works
out, it will be quite a blessing for all of us...thank you for taking
it so seriously...

Ingvild Roald and others in Europe have been communicating about
writing a European grant to get funding to complete SignWriter 5.0, so
I hope that happens too...

And I must tell you a very BIG irony...you mention that you worked with
Modula-2 in the above paragraph...Well...Richard Gleaves, the designer
and programmer of SignWriter //e  and  SignWriter DOS,  is one of the
programmers who developed Modula-2, when he was a young programmer at
the University of California San Diego (UCSD) and Richard wrote a
textbook on Modula-2, which was then translated into 12 languages. It
is still used today .I will tell Rich...he will be very pleased I am
sure! What a small world...I have Rich's book on Modula-2 right
here...translated into Dutch - ha! I looked his book up on the
internet...under PASCAL development...you can still get his book on
Amazon.com!

---------------------------
The Programming Language Modula-2
[Glea 84] Gleaves, Richard: Modula-2 for Pascal Programmers. Springer
Verlag, New York, 1984.
*       [Glea 85] Gleaves, Richard: Modula-2 für Pascal-Programmierer.
Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, 1985.
-----------------------------------

Anyway - the old source code for SignWriter DOS 4.4 was written in
Microsoft Pascal 3.3 and Assembly Language. Rich wanted to create a
very tiny program that could be used with very little memory. That was
in 1985-1986...so it was long ago. Since then SignWriter has changed a
lot. The last work Rich did on SignWriter was the new SymbolEditor and
KeyboardEditor that is used in SignWriter Java, but he did not do the
actual Java programming...he left programming to work at Qualcomm as a
technical writer and stopped programming about 5 years ago...

I can ask questions to Rich from time to time about SignWriter, and I
can give you the source code for SignWriter 4.4 as well, if you feel
you can read the old Pascal sources...

I am going to get off the internet now, and try to get the sources
ready for packaging and then upload them...It may take me a day or
two...but it is coming...