[SignWriting] Need your advice...which compression should I use?

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Sun May 11 14:45:39 UTC 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Valerie Sutton <sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:

> Therefore I need to know...what compression software works best for you?
>
> ..exe (Windows only)
> ..zip  (Mac and Windows)
> ..sit   (Mac and Windows)
>
> Any other suggestions?

There are some others, which happen to provide better compression than any
of the above, but they are widely used on Microsoft platforms.

> What amazes me, is how easy it is, to use .exe on Windows. It makes me
> wonder why people prefer .zip...there has to be a reason. What is it?

ZIP == portability. Works on every platform: Mac, Micorosft Windows and
MS-DOS, and UNIX. Also ZIP is the basis of the JAR format expected by
the Java programming environment. Whatever virtues Microsoft EXE files may
appear to have ZIP is preferable.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!