AW: QUESTION: write ASL and English "separate but equal?"...

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Sat May 24 19:42:31 UTC 2003

Hi Valerie ,

You wrote:

"The reason my documents are done differently, at different times, is
because I am writing for different audiences at different times...So
SignWriting is not a theory...it is just a writing system that can be
applied as the writer chooses..."

This is a very important statement. Fact is that  my style of spelling is
very much connected with my assumtion about my readers ability to read this
document, to understand the expressed idea.  My students are asked to learn
Spoken German with the help of  GebaerdenSchrift -documents.

In Germany the mouthmovements that go along with the signing are very
important. You would not be able to understand many documents if I would not
add the mouth-expressions -

On the other hand there are DGS - performances in which mouth - gestures
express other meanings but not articulation-movements of spoken words ...

What I understand now is, that the scribe has to make a decision how exact
or how detailed he needs to write his document.

By the way - it is almost the same with other writing systems. Look at the
big block- letters  for hearing children in the beginning of their . My
children love to see some special  spellings that are especially constructed
to  make the laugh ... like the attached sign for a dog (FU  - a boy)  and
another dog  (FARA  - a girl)

Have fun

Stefan ;-))