Need your advice...which compression should I use?

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Sun May 11 15:41:20 UTC 2003

Valerie,
EXE means "executable".  On PC's, files ending with ".exe" are the
program files that run when you select them or the shortcut that points
to them.  When you use a compression program to make a "self-expanding
archive", parts of the compression program are bundled with the files
and run when you click on the EXE file.  You are right in that it seems
so easy and people don't need the compression/decompression program to
expand these files.  However, it's very easy for viruses or malicious
code to be run from a PC if it's in the EXE format.  Nothing can be
simpler to those that write such things.  Therefore, many people,
browsers and internet service providers will block files ending in ".EXE
"  It's just too risky. The alternative, of course, is to simply not
make the compressed file executable and leave it as a ZIP file.  ZIP is
the preferred compression format today for most file transfers.

While you can use SIT, that compression format began with Macs and most
PC users aren't aware of it, even though you can get SIT decompression
utilities for the PC.

The sad state of affairs is that virus and malicious code writers have
ruined easy transfers.  Rule of thumb is to send files in a
non-executable format to be opened by others using programs they have
control over.  In this case, ZIP.

Which brings us around to why you need to recompress your files since
they were in ZIP format anyways.  Newer ZIP utilities should have no
trouble handling the older ZIPped archives.

Bill