Research Project on SignWriting...

Mon Nov 3 20:11:52 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
November 3, 2003

Erika Hoffmann wrote:
> I'm also starting a paper (for a class on language ideologies) that
> also will
> address possible reasons that Signwriting has been in large part
> rejected or
> ignored by the Deaf community so far. I'm a graduate student in
> linguistic
> anthropology.

Dear SW List, Erika, Adam, Stuart...
Have you read the articles written by Deaf people who have used
SignWriting?...We have a whole series on the web:

Deaf Opinions on SignWriting
http://signwriting.org/deaf/deaf.html

For example, if you go to Deaf Opinions 1, by Kathleen Say, you will
see that she was against it at first, but then later became quite an
advocate...but it took her several years, from high school when she
first saw it, until her mid-twenties, around 10 years later, before she
learned it and accepted it...that is normal for any new idea...