QUESTION ASL signs for Next, Previous

Tue Nov 18 14:53:18 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
November 18, 2003

Ingvild Roald in Norway wrote:
> I don't know about ASL, but in NSL you would need to be on the same
> time-line for the two.....

Dear SW List, and Ingvild!
Thank you for this explanation about Norwegian Sign Language...That is
very interesting...And you are right, that there needs to be a
connection between the two signs, no matter what signed language...(see
attached GIF)...

For those new on the SW List, I know it can be confusing to realize
that I am not an expert in ASL. The invention of SignWriting was not
based on a prior knowledge to any signed language...When I first
invented SignWriting in Denmark in 1974, I did not know any signed
language myself. I wrote the movements of Danish signs from videotape.
And then later, when I moved back to the US and started working with
signing Deaf people, I made a rule for myself...that even though I can
certainly communicate with ASL signers, that does not mean that I am an
expert in ASL myself...So, for the sake of the writing system, and for
the sake of preserving ASL properly, I always ask Deaf people who know
ASL well, to tell me the grammar issues...

And I know you do the same in Norway, Ingvild, which is the way it
should be...

By the way, I can "guess" as a hearing person, what may be the case in
ASL...but I am not sure...take a look at the attached GIF...I believe I
have seen this signed this way before...but I am not sure...