Research Project on SignWriting...

Erika Hoffmann eghoffma at UMICH.EDU
Sat Nov 1 21:44:36 UTC 2003

I'm also starting a paper (for a class on language ideologies) that also will
address possible reasons that Signwriting has been in large part rejected or
ignored by the Deaf community so far. I'm a graduate student in linguistic
anthropology.
I'm wondering if Adam or any one else on the list might have thoughts about why
that is. Since I'm looking at ideologies (ideas, not necessarily facts), I'm
curious about the kind of ideas about language, literacy, community, social
differentiation, etc. that might be circulating in the deaf community and might
be having an effect here.
Also, I was really interested in Joe Martin's paper about the manner in which
signwriting pushes the limits of traditional linguistics...it made me wonder if
others might take that fact as deligitimizing Signwriting, rather than as
highlighting areas in which linguistic research needs to grow...?
Finally, can anyone direct me to a resource for finding out specificaly what
anti-signwriting individuals themselves have to say about it?
Thanks,
Erika Hoffmann