going vectorial

Mon Nov 3 16:42:16 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
November 3, 2003

Guylhem Aznar wrote:
> No - I was just suggesting that the development use vectorial tools
> instead, so
> that it would save the vectorization effort. Guylhem

Dear SW List and Guylhem -
Thanks for this suggestion and of course, if I were starting from the
beginning this would make sense. There are two problems with it,
however. The first is that the current version of SignWriter Java does
not work without the current bitmap SymbolEditor that was designed to
work with SignWriter Java years ago...it is "connected" to a specific
piece of software that creates bitmap images. So for me to test the
symbols in SignWriter Java, I have no choice at this moment, to use the
software as it is built. Daniel and others are trying to help with this
problem, but they are predicting another year's development before
SignWriter Java can access other symbol sets other than the built-in
Symbol Editor...

The other problem is that 16,111 GIFs of the bitmaps have already been
created, and if I add the other 16,000 (or whatever the new number of
symbols will be) in vector graphics, the sss-2004 symbol set will not
be consistent and some symbols will look different than the others...I
have therefore opted to finish the sss-2004 in bitmaps, and then re-do
the whole sss-2004 in one big job, so the vector graphics are
consistent...

It will all happen sooner or later! I hope you can visit with Antonio
Carlos in Brazil - They are doing excellent work there ;-)

Thanks for writing!

Val ;-)
Sutton at SignWriting.org