AW: Irish Sign Language (ISL) Handshapes, Group 1

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Wed Nov 12 17:24:49 UTC 2003

Hi Valerie,

thank you very much for sharing ...

handshape index up - other fingers and thumb forward always looks somehow
strange to me  - why because in other cases with the square as basic shape
or the circle - the right index is written as a line on the "right" side -
but now you transplate it to the other side -- you will have your reasons
but it is somehow visually not so easy -- at least from my point of view ...
I like the lifelike drawings which are definitely a good support to identify
the meaning of SW - handshape - symbols

Stefan;-))

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: SignWriting List [mailto:SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA]Im Auftrag von
Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. November 2003 17:28
An: SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Betreff: Irish Sign Language (ISL) Handshapes, Group 1

SignWriting List
November 11, 2003

Dear SW List Members:
Today I am working on editing a book on Irish Sign Language (ISL),
written by Patrick Matthews. The book uses SignWriting, plus life-like
illustrations, to show sign-sentences. In the back, Patrick included a
listing of the basic handshapes of ISL, and some of the handshapes are
easy to write by hand, but do not exist (at the moment) in any of our
computer programs. But they will! I will be adding them to the
SSS-2004. Take a look at the attached diagram of ISL Group 1...The
third symbol is a new one, and will be added to the SSS-2004....

By the way, these symbols are written from the Receptive View, because
Patrick wanted the diagrams to fit with the illustrations, which are
also Receptive. No palm facing information was added in these
particular diagrams. But of course, the ISL sentences in the rest of
the book are written from the Expressive View, and all palm facing
information is included...Val ;-)