AW: Index, Ring and Baby Fingers....

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Thu Nov 13 22:01:27 UTC 2003

Hi Valerie , Charles and SW List

thanks for this lesson - what made me feel confused is this mixture of
expressive handshapes which can be seen as receptive as well looking into
your own palm --
I have got no problem to understand the index fingers position from side
view (that is fine with me) - would be interesting to compare palm facing
and back hand facing positions -

Stefan ;-))

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: SignWriting List [mailto:SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA]Im Auftrag von
Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 13. November 2003 16:51
An: SW-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Betreff: Index, Ring and Baby Fingers....

SignWriting List
November 13, 2003

Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> handshape index up - other fingers and thumb forward always looks
> somehow
> strange to me  - why because in other cases with the square as basic
> shape
> or the circle - the right index is written as a line on the "right"
> side -
> but now you transplate it to the other side -- you will have your
> reasons
> but it is somehow visually not so easy -- at least from my point of
> view ...
> I like the lifelike drawings which are definitely a good support to
> identify
> the meaning of SW - handshape - symbols

Dear SW List and Stefan -
Thanks for this question. Please see the attached diagram. It shows how
the symbols were developed, from the side view. The symbols are
Expressive and the illustrations are Receptive. The index finger is
consistently on the back side of the square or rectangle base...When
the ring finger and baby finger stick up, as in the bottom middle and
right diagrams....then the ring finger and the baby finger are on the
front side of the rectangle base...