spelling question short and quick vs. short and stop

Mon Oct 6 19:13:51 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
October 6, 2003

On September 7, 2003, Stefan Woehrmann wrote:
> Is there a general difference between
> 1)  a movement with a short- distance arrow with an abrupt stop at the
> end -
> ( so you have to speed up in order to stop apruptly) and
> 2)  a short distance - movement arrow with this "fast" symbol ?? (you
> have
> to stop as well in order to get not too long into a middle- distance -)
> I generally developed a style of writing  to put more emphysis on this
> ~  -
> as a marker for an aprupt stop

Dear SW List and Stefan -
A Tension Symbol near an arrowhead has always meant a movement that is
ending with an "abrupt stop".. Here is an ASL sign for "YOUR" which
uses the Tension Symbol...the Fast Symbol means "quickly", so it is
slightly different, although trying to stop a Fast Movement may "feel
abrupt"...so if someone uses the Fast Symbol instead of the Tension
Symbol, it may produce the same result, and is ok...just leave it
spelled as it is ;-)  I hope this answers your question...it looks like
you are writing similarly...Val ;-)